Friday, August 14, 2015

Donald Trump

I will review the republican candidates for President in groups. I will consolidate my groups around a dominant candidate who I will cover in greater detail. Just the opinions of a common man.

One should be suspicious of Donald Trump but there is no reason not to regard him as a serious and absolutely valid candidate for President of the United States. I admired George W. Bush for his morals, still apparent in his refusal to criticize our current President. Our former President is a man a principles yet even under his administration runaway government kept running.

My admiration for Donald Trump comes mostly from what I have seen of him in the past on the television productions of his show, “The Apprentice’'. What struck me most deeply was Donald Trump’s adoration of his father. This is central in any personal system of values. The Bible directs us to honor our father and mother. I see no qualifiers in that commandment, though I am not suggesting that Donald Trump’s father was not worthy of his honor.

This is not to say that Donald Trump is a pillar of virtue all should aspire to.

My next point of admiration for Donald Trump was the transformation of his television show into “Celebrity Apprentice.” He saw his original concept had run it’s course and rather than run it into the ground he revised it and made it better. Okay, I haven’t watched in a long while, it may be good that it is not running as he runs for President, but the charity concept with its draw on pop culture is overall a benefit to the larger society.

Donald Trump has a bit of a reputation on getting things done. On community projects he has been known to get it done in the most economical way possible for the public. He speaks with authority when he pontificates on getting things done.

Donald Trump has said he will secure the border and we all know if he is President he will secure the border. That is an absolute despite his short comings as a conservative.

Donald Trump’s changing stances on issues are a concern. Is he more liberal than even moderate? I worry over a Trump Presidency if the conservative base is not expanded in Congress over upcoming elections. I believe the conservative base will grow.

I do not believe Donald Trump will ever support or even consider a total ban on abortion but he will support restrictions States have been putting on abortion and the abortion industry. Why do I believe that? Because Donald Trump can see as well as anyone that there is a groundswell of support for such restrictions.

Reality check: When a mother’s life is in danger doctors do not do abortions. They do an emergency c-section. the abortion process would further threaten the mother’s life.

Donald Trump’s debate appearance gave the impression that he has a tendency to shoot from the hip. It does not mean he’s wrong. He is voicing the people’s frustrations not just for government, but possibly even more so for the media.

FOX is going mainstream is another conclusion I came to from the debate.

There is one other candidate in Donald Trump’s league and it is not Ben Carson. That would be Carly Fiorina. I do not know much about her. I have not observed her on screen or in print over an extended period of time to hold an opinion I would have confidence in. I have no doubt, from the little I have heard, that she is far superior to most of the candidates in the race. Of course the associated minority is still quite a crowd.

We need more elected representatives from the private sector. Our Senator Johnson from here in Wisconsin is such a man. He has embraced all the issues before him with honest competence.

The professional politician is the greatest danger to this nation that exists. One man came out first, with knowledge and confidence, to condemn Hillary as most likely not running because of her criminal activity. That was Donald Trump. All your politicians in the first republican debate spoke as if Hillary Clinton would, and by implication, should be running. Shame.

The United States would be far from hurt by leaders such as these from the private sector. Our Constitution was written with such people in mind. That said, Donald Trump is not on my short list. I would find it much more comfortable to vote for Carly Fiorina than for Donald Trump.

No comments: